Collections - Time Line
From "History of Cokeville, Wyoming" by Errol Jack Lloyd
1800 Prior to the second decade of the 1800s, the sole occupants of the Bear River and Smiths Fork valleys were the Shoshone Indians. The Shoshone used these areas principally for summer hunting and camping grounds and made their winter encampments in the desert regions to the north and east.
1812 Robert Stuart, a member of the John Jacob Astor expedition, encountered a group of apparently unfriendly Crow Indians at the confluence of the Bear River and the Thomas Fork and alters his course going north up Thomas Fork to the Salt River and on to the Snake River.
1824 Jedediah Strong Smith, a member of the Rocky Mountain Fur Company, descended the Smiths Fork River from its headwaters leaving his name as a lasting legacy.
1841 The first sizable emigrant train to utilize the "Overland Trail" was the Bartleson-Bidwell expedition which left Sapling Grove, Missouri in June 1841. The company reached Soda Springs on August 10th which would place its arrival in the Cokeville area around August 6th or 7th.
1843 In May of 1843 an immigrant train consisting of over 1,000 persons of all ages and over 5,000 oxen and cattle made the greater trek arriving at the banks of the Bear River 17 August 1843.
1846 The Buchanan-Pakenham Treaty with Britain gave the United States sole possession of that portion of the northwest known as the Oregon Country.
1848 Oregon Country was renamed the Oregon Territory on August 14,1848.
1853 Oregon Territory becomes part of the Washington Territory on March 2,1853.
1863 On March 3, 1863, the Idaho Territory was created with the Cokeville area located in the southeastern corner of this new territory.
1866 The Wyoming Coal and Coking Company opened a coal mine in the Smith's Fork area but only coal of poor quality had been mined.
1868 The Cokeville area became a part of the tract known as the Unorganized Territory - those portions of Idaho and Utah Territories included within the Wyoming Territory by the Organic Act of 1868.
1868 Asahel C. Beckwith and Antony V. Quinn started the "BQ" Ranch on the Bear River about 15 miles south of Cokeville. The ranch encompassed 15,000 acres and in 1881 wintered 2,500 head of cattle most of which were Texas longhorn stock.
1869 The first Territorial Legislature created and defined the boundaries of Uinta County on December 1, 1869, to include most of the Organized Territory.
1872 The first record of permanent settlers in this area was in 1872 when a group of citizens living in the vicinity petitioned the county commissioners to establish a voting precinct at Smiths Fork.
1873 In 1873, Tilford Kutch became the first white settler in the Cokeville area. He married an Indian woman, built a one-room cabin and operated a ferry and small trading post serving the emigrants moving westward.
1874 John Bourne brought the first sheep to Bear River Valley.
1874 The Sylvanus Collett and Robert Gee families, Mormons from Utah, arrived at the Smith Fork River with their families and few belongings.
1875 Coal was discovered at Sage, about 20 miles south of Cokeville. Even after a coking oven had been built, it was pronounced that the coal had "no value as a coking coal".
1875 Sylvanus Collett started a small store, stocking a small supplies of groceries, whiskey and bacon.
1875 Sylvanus Collett was appointed justice of the peace and John Bourne was appointed constable.
1877 R. V. Hayden referred to one of the small settlements at the mouth of Smiths Fork River as "Coketown".
1877 John W. Stoner became the pioneer merchant of Cokeville stocking all kinds of unknown luxuries.
1877 The first mention of a school house comes three years after settlement. The first teacher was a Mrs. Horace, a member of one of the early families to settle in the area.
1878 The first school district was known as "Cokeville District No. 10".
1880 There were 39 males, 16 adult females, 41 male children and 21 female children under the age of 21 reported on the tax assessment roles for this area of Uinta County.
1880 The first regular religious services were conducted by Reverend F. L. Arnold, a Presbyterian minister from Evanston, Wyoming, during the early 1880s.
1882 On 12 June 1882, the newly established Oregon Short Line Railroad pushed track through Cokeville coming from Granger, Wyoming on its way to Huntington, Oregon, a distance of 541 miles.
1888 Roads from Cokeville to the Utah line and the Idaho line were declared public highways and "opened and in condition to be traveled".
1890 In December 1890, John W. Stoner and surveyor John M. Sights surveyed and platted the present township of Cokeville.
1890 On 29 October 1890, the Cokeville-Star Valley road was completed and declared a county road.
1890 During the 1890s, a small mine was operated by the Button family on Coal Creek, a tributary of the Smiths Fork River, 12 miles north of Cokeville.
1895 The Collett Mining Company was formed for the purpose of "buying, selling, leasing and operating mines of silver, gold, copper and other minerals". A copper mining activity was centered in the Hobble Creek and Ferney Gulch district area 30 miles north-east of Cokeville.
1898 The foundation for a Methodist Church was constructed, but a building was never erected.
1900 The Cokeville Branch of the Mormon Church was organized about 1900 and was part of the Bear Lake Stake until 1917.
1903 The First Presbyterian Church of Cokeville, under the direction of Reverend Charles Mudge of Montepelier, Idaho, was the first to erect a building for religious services.
1907 Prior to 1908, Cokeville businesses consisted of two saloons - The Wyoming Saloon and Billy's Dew Drop Inn - the Wyman Hotel, a general merchandise store and several boarding houses.
1907 Prior to 1907, two telephones were known to exist.
1908 The Cokeville phosphate mine was developed by the Union Phosphate Company of San Francisco. The mine itself was physically located on the southern face of Rocky Peak (Cokeville Butte).
1908 The Cokeville Mercantile Company and Cokeville State Bank opened their doors for business.
1908 Frank A. Mau was the first to acquire an automobile in the area.
1909 The Cokeville Canal (1909) and the Covey Canal Company (1910) were constructed for the purpose of building and maintaining canals to deliver water to ranches in the Cokeville area.
1910 The first edition of the Cokeville Register was published by H. V. Tenant and in that same year Cokeville became an incorporated municipality.
1911 The Cokeville area was part of Uinta County until February 20, 1911 when Lincoln County became separated from Uinta.
1914 The local industry shipped 586 railroad car loads of sheep, cattle, grain, phosphate, hogs and hay from the Cokeville station.
1914 May 1914 saw the completion of the local water system and water was turned into the city water mains.
1915 Prior to 1915, the first Episcopal Church services in Cokeville were held in the opera house.
1915 By 1915 the business district included a hotel, bank, newspaper office, meat market, harness shop, drug store, several pool halls, three saloons, two general merchandise stores, an implement house, lumber yard, two restaurants, two barber shops, confectionary store, blacksmith shop, garage, livery barn, tailor shop, plumbing shop, and painting contractor. Public buildings included three churches, an opera house and a large school building.
1915 Earl Haggerty began construction of a 25 room hotel.
1915 In the spring of 1915, there was a total of 17 car owners in Cokeville.
1916 W. C. Collett purchased a new Buick and started a taxi service.
1916 A J. C. Penney store opened its doors for business.
1917 On September 17, 1917, electrical power arrived in Cokeville and on the following Sunday the lights were turned on.
1919 On April 17, 1919, Articles of Incorporation of Saint Dominic's Catholic Church were filed in the Lincoln County Courthouse and later in the year a church building was erected.
1920 The first airplane arrived on September 11, 1920 and it was announced that "anyone who had the nerve and could pay a dollar a minute was invited to take a ride".
1922 Cokeville made national headlines when the citizens elected a woman mayor, Mrs. Ethyl Stoner and two women, Mrs. Retta Roberts and Mrs. Goldie Noblitt to the town council. Running on a law-enforcementl ticket, these women were elected on a platform to "Clean the town of Bootleggers and other Law Violators".
1926 The first school bus was put into service.
1932 D. C. Muckey converted a former garage and blacksmith shop into a cheese factory and started production on September 16th with an output of 200 pounds.
1934 A new airstrip, 4000 feet in length, was located 3 miles south of Cokeville.
1935 In September 1935, the Montpelier Stake of the Mormon Church, which included the Cokeville Branch, was organized. The Cokeville Branch was then reorganized as a Ward.
1953 A television picture, along with sound, were received on a television set located in a sheep camp on a mountain top east of Larson Ranch, located in Smiths Fork Valley.
1954 The Cokeville Town Council authorized the Cokeville Radio and Electric Company to bring television to the town.